Monday, March 30, 2009

Grandpa Stuff

I'm still getting used to the fact that I am a grandpa. Laura and Kyle brought the beautiful blue-eyed baby, Abigail, into the family last December 12th. I've been able to hold her about a dozen times, all during their whirlwind trip home over the Christmas holidays. They keep us up to date with nearly daily updates to their blog and frequent pictures of Abby doing something intelligent and cute.

Today we received a short video of Abby turning over from back to front. Holding her head up and everything. The video was with sound so we heard her cry as she turned over. It occured to me that we may not see her until Christmas this year, and I was struck with the sudden thought: "What if she doesn't like us? She will have had a year of very formative growth without hearing or seeing us." It wasn't a pleasant thought. Rather, it was a thought that brought up feelings of vulnurability. Maybe we should start sending her pictures of us. And videos. Hmmmm. I wonder what would be interesting to a child her age?

Linda and I are proud of all our children, and very happy to be grandparents. We want to get to know her...and for her to get to know us, too. Perhaps we can find a way to go for a short visit in the summertime. We'll see.

In the meantime, we hope to keep receiving the notes, pictures, and videos. Each one brings a dose of satisfaction and pride that we would otherwise miss. We love you, Abby!

1 comment:

  1. Aww. We miss you too and there is no way Abby is going to grow up in my house not knowing who her granny and grandpa are. And of course she'll like you. :) I like you. I bet we find a way to see each other before Christmas too. So you save your pennies and I'll save mine, and we'll see what kind of visits may be feasible. Love you very much.

    PS: I'm pretty sure if you sent us a video of you guys turning over from back to tummy, she'd get a laugh out of it. Well, at least we would. ;-)

    ReplyDelete