Saturday, March 28, 2009

Angel Food and Humble Pie

Today Linda and I got up and drove into town to the county fairgrounds where the Angel Food distribution was located. We got up early (for us) and were down there shortly after 9:00. People were already there. This was our first time to participate, so we didn't really know what to expect. As we were leaning against the wind heading for the door a church member friend of ours also arrived and showed us what to do.

Previously we had paid for boxes of several types: "Regular," "Meat," "Vegetable/Fruit," and two "Senior" boxes. We were greeted at a table by another church member volunteer who gave us a coded slip of paper and introduced us to the supervisor. "Bill" led us to a long table where we pushed a box along and volunteers placed items in as we passed. This was the "Regular" and included pasta, canned veggies, two rib-eye steaks, a dozen eggs, a package of cookies, fresh carrots all cubed up, cubed ham chunks, dried beans, etc. It was a good box of food. T

hen we were given the "Vegetable/Fruit" box which was one of those heavy-duty waxed boxes with handholds in the sides. It contained a beautiful head of cabbage, 2 pounds of fresh carrots, sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, a sack of oranges, a sack of red Delicious apples, four Granny Smith apples, a sack of yellow onions, and three or four mangoes, an unexpected treat.

The "Meat" box contained flash frozen meats: Four sirloin strips, four giant porkchops, two packages of brats, pounds of hamburger, and bacon.

Next we received two "Senior" boxes, each containing ten ready-t0-microwave meals and ten chocolate moon pies. Yep. Moon pies. Desserts. We were glad that we got two boxes, because we can each have the same type of meal together. (Not to speak of the 20 moon pies--so good for people trying to loose or manage their weight!)

"Bill" brought us a truck dolly and even pushed it to our car for us. We drove home and unloaded into the freezer and refrigerator inside, as far as we could, then took the rest to the big chest freezer in the barn. With the exceptions of milk and bread, we should be good for about two weeks of food, maybe more, since our church eats together so much.

We each had one of the microwave meals for lunch...Salsbury steak, green beans, and mashed potatoes. It was good and filling. Later on we took a nap, then I went to the church to help the men cook for the monthly "Hoedown" supper and concert. The Hoedowns are a long-standing local traditions of and a certain type of people show up each month to enjoy the meal and listen to about 90 minutes of live Gospel Music. Tonight's menu was (guess what?) hamburger steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, and green beans, french garlic bread and tea. Desserts were NOT moon pies, but a delightful array of homemade cakes, pies, and cobblers from our church ladies.

The usual emcee was on a trip with his own quartet so I was asked to take over the duties of hosting, introducing, etc. Which I did. The folks in the visiting quartet refered to me as "pastor," as in, "We'll be turning this over to Pastor after this next song." Any kind of music can be appreciated if it is done well. These folks did a good job with their music. We had a good number in the audience as well.

After the program, we braved the cold wind and made our way to the car and then the few blocks to the house.

When I checked in online I found a post from my friend Judith who, quite correctly, and gently, let me know that I had misspelled the word "Curmudgeon" in the title of my blog. Me! (blush)
However, I have learned to accept the kindness of friends (and strangers) along life's way. I corrected the mistake in spelling. I don't know what that does with the url. Whether I should actually have selected that particular word is still a matter of some conversation. For now it will stay. It gives me permission to get into an actual rant or two if I wish.

Tomorrow is Sunday, always a busy day for us. We have only one worship service tomorrow, since it is the 5th Sunday and we have a union service with our two worship services combined. Of course, there is a dinner afterward. I checked. Chicken and Dressing. I was glad it wasn't hamburger steak again.

Tomorrow: Pet Peeves.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I saw the misspelling and assumed that you knew better than I and didn't mention it. I enjoy getting to read your thoughts of the day and look forward to visiting here every day. Thank you for sharing yourself, Roger. Your thoughts have always been quite valuable to me.

    ReplyDelete