Friday, July 24, 2009

Motivation

Those of us who are tremendously overweight often cannot see ourselves as others do. For that matter, who does? I noticed when going through some old pictures that most of our photos are of other people...because I was the one taking the pictures. And when I wasin the picture, I was usually hidden behind someone else. It wasn't something I did intentionally, but points to a whole lot of similar behaviors that overwieght folks develop. I'm becoming aware of more of those as I lose weight.

It's as though some internal gate has opened through which previously unacceptable thoughts can now pass. One evening I was sitting watchig TV but was really just thinking about my weight and decided I needed a visual image. So I asked Linda to take a picture of me lounging back in my recliner. She took it with my phone, and now I carry it with me. It sorta keeps me honest because not only do I see a really fat guy, but I remember how it felt to try to get out of that chair. I was getting to the point where it actually took a lot of effort and time to get up from that chair.

Now I carry that picture with me...in my phone. I wanted to get it out and print it so I could see it in other places...but I don't seem to be able to email it from my phone...and don't have the special-to-this-phone USB cable to get it into the computer directly. But I have it. And see it in my brain.

In September I'll have Linda take another photo. It won't look thatdifferent, but...well, we'll see!

Thanks for the notes, folks! They really help!

3 comments:

  1. One thing is true....photos don't lie. I am constantly learning that and I think that does 2 things for me....1) keeps me motivated to stay on track with losing weight and 2) keeps me behind the camera even when I dont always do it on purpose.

    I hope you decide to post the before and after pictures when September rolls around. That will be so fun to see your success!

    Also, sounds like your wife is such a great support for you in this journey. That is priceless. I must admit I see alot of my dad in you, so reading about your success gives me hope that my dad will one day decide to make the same decisions that you are making right now. I pray for it daily.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just said a prayer for you :) I asked God to give you the strength you need to strive through this. You are doing great! -Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well. You haven't posted a new blog in a while.

    ReplyDelete