Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fattoids

It takes 15 calories per day to maintain one pound of weight. So, if I eat 1500 calories per day for, say, a really long time, I would weigh 100 pounds. I would also probably be sick as a goose (an odd turn of phrase).

To maintain my weight at 420 pounds I had to keep eating 6300 calories per day more than I was using.

The unfair thing is that it really takes more than 15 calories to burn up a pound of weight. I have to expend (burn) 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. And burning the fat isn't automatic. The body has some strange rules about where and how much fat is used up.

It's all very confusing.

Nonetheless I am content, for the moment, to leave all the math to the experts and just keep plugging away at my food plan. I really have only had two days when I was uncomfortably hungry or shaky. I've learned not to ignore those signals, and not to give in to them. I just deal with them.

Of almost 2000 lap-band surgeries one surgeon in Little Rock performed, 2 people died, which is about the national average for major surgery mortality. Hmmmm. I don't want to be so special that I qualify for that one percent!

Monday evening I went to the hospital while Linda was conducting her class at the Women's Crisis Center. I walked the halls looking for a digital scale sitting out somewhere where I could sneak up and weigh myself. No luck. So I still don't know how I am doing. I do know that my belts are not doing me much good now--I need to get new holes punched in them to get them tighter. I suspect punching holes is less expensive than buying new belts. Oh well. More later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Tanna. I am running the challenge that Laura is doing and I just read your blog! I think it is SO awesome that you are on this journey for yourself. It is so important to take care of YOU.

    Often times, especially dads, will take care of everyone else first! (thats why we love them so much) But, I also think it is great what you are doing for yourself. I know Laura has got to be proud of you.

    I wish you lots of luck on your journey, I will be keeping up with your blog!! Thanks for sharing, Tanna

    ReplyDelete